Monday 5 November 2012

Google Sketchup for Design Technology

Our Design Technology teacher's take on Sketchup.


"SketchUp is wonderful and the boys love it. Bishops afforded me the opportunity to attend a course at the BHC School of Design (situated at the old biscuit mill in Woodstock) last year which really kick-started it all. A number of architects whom I met at the course were very impressed at how quick and easy it was to create 3D drawings. SketchUp also allowed them to import CAD files – they would typically import a plan for a house, by way of example, and then use the push/pull function to pull up the walls and then change/render the drawing etc...

We purchased the Sandbox licences for all the grade 9 boys in June which has enabled us to work with terrain too.    

There are a number of self-paced tutorials in Trimble which are freely available."

A extract from an email received from one of our parents in response to her son's Sketchup lessons.



"I am not sure how you have taught your boys sketchup but I must say I am completely amazed at what my son, produced for me this week.

As an architect in private practise I was moaning I did not have the skill or ability to quickly produce some 3D images for a client and that it would cost me R15 K to get someone to do it.
My son said he was happy to do it which I largely dismissed. This is a child who has not EVER done a single day of studying architecture. Anyway he seemed unfazed by the challenge and so I handed him a full set of plans, sections and elevations of my design.

To my complete amazement , he produced an extraordinary 3D presentation working out all angles, details and roof intersections with little more than a few questions.
We are all completely shocked in the office. There is no way I could produce this, as an architect for 20 years and someone who taught Autocad at UCT. My son said he has only done about half of the detail that he could do but I only gave him 4 days to do it in and as he was busy, as always with AV, this is the best he could do in a few days!!

Really quite extraordinary. How on earth did you teach these boys to be some knowledgeable."
 

No comments:

Post a Comment